Sunday, March 30, 2008

Stephen Curry, Number 30, and Vintage Milkman Photos



The superstar of the NCAA tournament so far is Stephen Curry of Davidson. It's bittersweet for me, because it's awesome that such a fine kid from a non-traditional power is doing so great. But, he's the son of one of my childhood heroes, and he's not a Hokie (and it's not the Hokies in the Elite 8).

Growing up in the 80s in suburban Richmond, being a Hokie basketball fan was not a popular choice, but that's where my father went to school, and they were having limited success (although greatly overshadowed by the heyday of UVa basketball). The kid across the street and I played hours of backyard basketball; he usually choose to be Jeff Lamp or Othell Wilson, and I generally choose the role of Dell Curry.
Whenever I had the choice of a uniform number, I would choose #30, for both Dell and my favorite baseball player Tim Raines. I still wear number 30 for my softball team. Here are some pictures of me in intra-murals in college, circa 1992, in action and when they retired my jersey (with masking tape) at our team banquet after my senior season (we invited our girlfriends to our appartment and it was catered by KFC). Notice the Curry-like follow through (although unlike Curry I was streaky - I could can 5 jump shots in a row and not make another one for a month).

Coach Greenberg has admitted he made a mistake, but to his credit, he was the only ACC coach to make an offer (they wanted him to walk on for one year and redshirt). If Seth Curry (a HS senior this year) leads Liberty to the Sweet 16, I think Coach's 2 ACC COY awards should be revoked!

No comments: