Tuesday, September 09, 2008

50th Anniversary Celebration


This weekend, we were in Richmond for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. My sisters put together a great celebration (I admittedly coasted on this one), and lots of my parents friends and family were able to come despite the bad weather. Unfortunately, we could not have it outside as planned due to the tropical storm. My older sister made my folks a scrapbook with letters from many more of their friends, and my middle sister got a family portrait framed (we had an Aunt take it in June).
One of the highlights was the pastor who married my parents was able to come. At 90 years old, he was the life of the party. Rev. Langford is a hero of the civil rights movement in Virginia, I have come to find, and lost his job over it. He is also a civil war buff and gave me a lecture on the leadership failures of Jefferson Davis.
What a blessing in my life to have parents whose marriage has lasted 50 years, and what a blessing to have great voices for justice like Rev. Langford.
(More on Dr. Langford: State Legislature Resolution and bio from Va Baptist Herald.)

No comments: