Monday, December 10, 2007

Top 5 Albums of 2007

Once again it is time for the annual top 5 albums of the year. It gets harder every year, but I thought there was some decent music out there this year. I don't think my top five are as differentiated as last year, when I had a clear number one.

  1. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky - Suprise! Chris puts a Wilco album at #1. OK, maybe not, but I really liked this album. It is definitely a Wilco album, but also has a different feel than any other Wilco album. If I ever sell-out, I will also sell-out to Volkswagen, so that gets bonus points.
  2. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Great indie pop-rock album. Infinitely catchy yet musically interesting.
  3. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism - North Carolina duet shows how much depth that country music can have when it tries.
  4. Caedmon's Call - Overdressed - Without Derek Webb, CC is just an average Nashville-sound Christian Band. With him, they're thoughtful, clever, insightful, honest, and beautiful.
  5. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger - Uneven album , but enough stand out tracks to merit a top five spot.

Non-album things I loved in 2007: Simple Shoes, my Senseo coffee maker with ecopads and Caribou Tanzania coffee, Urinetown, Heroes, kiva.org.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a sucker for most anything Ryan Adams and Wilco do. I also learned this year that you pronounce Avett with a long "a". I was getting it wrong.

Andrew Phillips said...

Sorry Chris--I've got to push back on your characterization of Caedmons as "just an average Nashville-sound Christian Band" without the short bald one.

Now, with regard to that In the Company of Essential Records 2 Album they made sans Derek, I completely agree.

Share the Well however, was not standard CCM stuff.