Monday, December 03, 2007

What are the presidential candidates worth?



I found this fascinating from this month's Kiplinger, on how the presidential candidates invest. Their list of the candidates' net worth:
  1. Mitt Romney $190-$250 Million
  2. Rudy Giuliani $18-70 Million
  3. Hillary Clinton $10-50 Million
  4. John Edwards $30 Million
  5. John McCain $21-32 Million
  6. Fred Thompson $2.6-8.3 Million
  7. Barack Obama $456,000 to $1.1 Million
It's interesting, not only how rich some of these guys are, but also how much Obama is worth. He's not really running as a populist (having read his book, he seems to bill himself mostly as a good politician), but he could probably stake a more legitimate claim at that than rich guy John Edwards. I know plenty of people who are worth more than Obama, and I will probably be in his ballpark when I'm his age. I don't know if he's the best candidate for president this go round, but there are an awful lot of things I like about him.
And man, Romney is stinkin' rich (he's a former venture capitalist, funding, among other things, Domino's pizza).

1 comment:

jeff said...

hey chris, hope you guys are doing well...

why does this instantly make me like obama more than i do? do I/we have a bias against rich people? i guess i'm jealous...